Saturday, July 12, 2008

my snuggly boys, and other news

Wow, no blog posts from me in nearly 3 weeks! Sorry, guys. We've been out of town........taking A to church camp, doing our own overnight camping up in the mountains, visiting family for the 4th, etc. Also, the kids did 2 weeks of swimming lessons and we finally finished up Tball, so we've been busy.

Anyway, you know how sometimes you're really "in" a moment, really aware of what you're experiencing right then and how wonderful it is? I have those moments a lot, as a Mom, and often the thought that goes with it is "you'd better appreciate and remember this moment, while the kids are little", etc. Had one of those last night, and it was blissful and bittersweet at the same time.

For the summer, since we're all at home and no one has school or work to go to :) , we're not doing much about an organized bedtime for the boys. We get on pajamas, we start getting into bed (usually Mom and Dad's) and turning down lights, and when we fall asleep, that's fine. Last night, K and A were already in the bed but not asleep, just watching TV. E came to me where I was sitting at the computer, and I could see how tired he was. He said "I want to snuggle with you, Mom". How can you turn that down? :)

So, he climbed up into my lap. I had my legs stretched out straight, laying on top of a wooden stool, so he just stretched himself out to match. Head on my chest, body laying on top of my legs, etc. Within minutes, he was asleep. He's good about being able to stay asleep when you have to move him.......like if he's asleep in the car, but then you carry him inside, etc. So I knew I could take him to his room to his own bed, but I didn't want to, not yet. He's 4, but very petite, only weighs about 31 lbs and can still pretty easily wear most 3T clothes, even some 2T. So I was perfectly happy to lie there with him asleep on my lap, for a good long time, just savoring the moment. Realizing that someday soon he'll be too big for this, or won't want to do it. A is already too big, for the most part, although he and I did have a nice snuggly hug this morning, and he said in my ear "I really love you Mom". They can just be so amazingly sweet sometimes, and I know how incredibly blessed we are in that department. :)

Makes me think of a book my Mom bought for me, soon after A was born. I truly, honestly cannot read it without crying. I tried a few days ago, and failed again. The worst time ever was when A was beginning to learn how to read, so he wanted to read it aloud with me.........by the end I was bawling. But despite the tears, all moms of boys should have this book, it should be handed out at the hospital whenever a son is born.

"I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always.
As long as I'm living,
My baby you'll be."

No comments: