Thursday, December 25, 2008

random observations of Christmas 2008

Hope everyone has had a happy, peaceful and blessed day, surrounded by loved ones and filled with good food and good company. I definitely have.....staying at the in-laws' house with K's 2 brothers, one sister-in-law and my niece and nephew, aged 8 1/2. Thank God that the kids didn't wake up and bring us in to see Santa's leavings until 7:10 am, which has GOT to be a modern day record for latest awakening on Christmas morning. Kids reveled in what Santa brought for about 30 minutes, then we did the present opening (gifts that were exchanged among us all). My boys got entirely too many presents, as is typical, but hey, you're only young once, right?

Anyway, I can't seem to organize my thoughts into a coherently structured blog post tonight, as I am about to drift into a macaroni and cheese coma. So instead, I thought I'd just list some random things for you...give you the flavor of what our Christmas 2008 was like. Enjoy, and Happy Holidays to you all!!!!!

1. I'm currently looking at a plant in the living room, a hanging plant in a macrame basket. Kind of a blast from the past kind of thing.....look it up if you don't know what macrame is. Anyway, there's a tiny Santa figurine (maybe 3 inches tall) peeking out of the top of the flowerpot part. It's just so absurd, it makes me laugh. Maybe that's the cheese overload talking, I'm not sure.

2. I saw A act so incredibly "typical" today, in so many situations. Blows my mind when I take time to think about it. Playing new games and toys with his cousins, hanging out watching movies, playing outside, etc. We are truly blessed, I know that. But every time I get too complacent, he does something.....like meltdown in the kitchen this morning because someone touched his head. Not quite a full fledged MELTDOWN, but there was shouting and near-collapsing onto the floor. *sigh*

3. The Focalin that E is taking flat-out works. I mean WORKS. Did I say works? I meant W O R K S! We actually didn't give him any until about 11:30 this morning, because it wasn't until then that we began to see the "manic" stuff as I'm starting to call it. But within 30 minutes, calm was restored. I'm wishing he could have another dose right now, but it's probably not a good idea at 8 pm.

4. My SIL makes me sick, in a sweet/I love her kind of way. She is so incredibly skinny, looks great, and I don't know how she does it. Guess I've got to drown my sorrows in a piece of pecan pie. Or maybe pound cake. Or pumpkin roll.

5. K's dad has a tradition of putting a certain item in everyone's stocking each Christmas. All of us have stockings, adults included, and each year we get a gigantic bag of peanut M & Ms. Like I need that. Don't want to hurt his feelings, but could we somehow nicely say "just give them to the kids next time" or something.

Well, I guess I'll be limiting my random list to 5 things. E is getting more manic, and believe it or not, reading to him seems to promote calm. I think it's my turn, as K has been on duty while I write.

One more Christmas dinner to go........wish us luck. I might just explode if I eat even one more bite of turkey, or dressing. Merry Christmas to all!

No comments: