Wednesday, March 5, 2008

more political ramblings

OMG, what a night it was! I did my usual nighttime stuff, after the kids are in bed......wash/dry/fold clothes, work on the computer, and listen to political coverage on TV. When I went to sleep (around 11) I had NO idea I'd wake up to find that Hillary Clinton had won both Texas AND Ohio! Ohio was looking bad (for Obama) as I turned the TV off, but not Texas. WTF?

So, now the question is: Was this result a good or a bad thing for the Democratic Party, going into November? Guess it depends on who you ask. Most of the so-called experts on TV and talk radio have basically proven that NO ONE really knows what's going to happen, no one can predict anything with certainty, and that the tried-and-true expectations just don't hold water any more. Everything is new this time, when we're dealing with the first viable woman candidate and the first viable black candidate.

Bottom line for me: I want to see a Democrat elected, period. Not John McCain, who says we could be in Iraq for 100 years or more. So I'm trying to keep my eyes on the prize, so to speak. And if that means we've got to choose Hillary, I guess that's what we'll do, but I won't be thrilled about it. But, how electable is either Hillary or Obama going to be after weeks and weeks and weeks more of primary time? In which they both get to beat each other up and spend tons of money trying to make the other look bad......and then in the end, try to come out smelling like a rose to go forward into the general election. Not gonna happen, I fear. And meanwhile, McCain gets to revel in his un-opposed status, while raising tons of money and going ahead with general election strategies against both of the Democrats. Ugh!

Stay tuned for Pennsylvania, I suppose. In APRIL! Guess I've just got to console myself with knowing that I've done what I could, voted when my state had its turn, and now I just get to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

No comments: